Day 16 of Recipe Marathon #2.
Majjige (meaning curds/yogurt in kannada), Huli means thick curry made by grinding coconut with spices(huli also means sour/tangy). I make this whenever I have lots of yogurt at home or sometimes when I am bored of eating sambar with rice.
Different kinds of squashes are used for making this curry, most common is ash gourd, other veggies and squashes like cucumber, winter squash, chayote, bottle gourd are used. I made this with Chayote (seemebadanikayi/chow chow) squash, which is available in our store all year.
- Curds/yogurt – about a cup ( I used home made)
- Chayote squash – 1( skin peeled, core removed, chopped and cooked till tender)
For grinding into paste
- Coconut grated- 1tbsp or more
- Dalia Dal/hurigadale – about 2tbsp
- Cilantro/coriander leaves- 1 big hand full cleaned and washed
- Chillies red or green – 2 or 3
- Cumin seeds – 1tsp
- Oil, mustard seeds, urad Dal and – 1tsp each
- Hing a pinch
- Cook squash with little water, until just tender.
- Grind into smooth paste all the above ingredients with adding enough water.
- Mix grind paste with yogurt, to the add cooked squash mix well. Add salt and adjust to taste.
- Do the tempering by adding mustard seeds and urad dal to to oil, add hing. When dal starts to change color add the tempering to yogurt mixture. Mix well.
Enjoy with hot rice.
Check out recipes of my fellow Marathoners.
1. DK 2. Siri 3. Srivalli 4. Ranji 5. PJ 6. Curry Leaf 7. Medha 8. Priya 9. Bhawna 10. Raaji 11. Anu 12. Kamala 13. Roopa 14. Divya Kudua 15.Rekha 16.Divya M 17.Lakshmi 18.Raaga 19.Lakshmi Venkatesh 20.Sripriya 21.Viji 22.Kamalika 23.Pavani 24.Karuna 25.Roochi