Day 14 of Recipe Marathon #2.
I make Sambhar (south Indian lentil curry) at least 3 or 4 times a week, I make this for our mid-day lunch. So here is my recipe for making Sambar.
- Potatoes,Onion and Tomato – each cut into big chunks.
- Sambar powder, tamarind paste and jaggery – 1 tsp each.
- Tempering : Oil, mustard seeds – 1tsp and Hing/asafoetida- 1/4 tsp or a pinch.
- Toor Dal(split pigeon peas) – 1/2 cup
- Garnish few cilantro/coriander leaves.
- Wash Dal, chop veggies and pressure cook till soft.
- Once done, add sambar powder( substitute with curry powder), dry tamarind dissolved in water (or tamarind paste) and jaggery or Brown sugar. Mix well and let it cook for 10 mins until the raw smell of sambar powder is gone.
- Then do the tempering, add mustard seeds and hing to hot oil, when it mustard seeds starts to pop, switch off and add that to sambar.
- Garnish with few fresh cilantro springs. Serve warm.
We like to eat sambar with rice. Enjoy !
Check out recipes of my fellow Marathoners.
1. DK 2. Siri 3. Srivalli 4. Ranji 5. PJ 6. Curry Leaf 7. Medha 8. Priya 9. Bhawna 10. Raaji 11. Anu 12. Kamala 13. Roopa 14. Divya Kudua 15.Rekha 16.Divya M 17.Lakshmi 18.Raaga 19.Lakshmi Venkatesh 20.Sripriya 21.Viji 22.Kamalika 23.Pavani 24.Karuna 25.Roochi