Today is the first day of Recipe Marathon #2.
Since rice being staple at my home I have made moongdal-rice (a.k.a rice(akki) usli in kannada) for our lunch today. This is a one pot rice dish, which is tasty and wholesome. Has protein from moongdal, carbs from rice, Vitamins from veggies like carrots and peas and I have also used some Almonds for crunch and extra protein.
Here is the recipe for it.
- Rice- 1 cup
- Moongdal – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1 medium thinly sliced
- Carrot – 1 thinly diced
- Peas- 1/4 cup I used frozen
- Red chilli powder and garam masala – tsp each ( instead of this green chillies can also be used)
- Oil – 1tsp
- Mustrad seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Channa dal- 1 tsp
- Turmeric-1/4 tsp
- Coconut grated, corriender leaves and fresh lime juice – about 1 tbsp each.
- Almonds- 1 tsp lightly toasted.
- First roast moongdal and rice together with or without oil on meduim heat untill golden in colour. keep aside.
- Heat one tsp of oil, when hot add mustard seeds and channa dal, once dal starts to change colour add all the veggies, cook for few minute(If using green chillies add along the veggies).
- Then add spices, and 3 cups of water( add 1:2 rice mixture to water), adjust salt to taste. Now add rice-moondal roasted early to water, mix well. Close lid and on meduim heat cook up to 3 whistels ( I directly make this in a pressure cooker so I do this way).
- Switch off cooker after 3 whistels and let it cool. Now garnish with corriender leaves, coconut and squeeze fresh lime. Mix well finally add roasted cashews.
* If not using cooker for making this dish, and using regular pan follow the same procedure untill 3, before adding rice mixture, let the water comes to boil and then add it. cook on med-low heat for 10- 15 mins and switch off and garnish.
Serve warm. Enjoy !
Checkout the recipes of other Marathoners.
1. DK 2. Siri 3. Srivalli 4. Ranji 5. PJ 6. Curry Leaf 7. Medha 8. Priya 9. Bhawna 10. Raaji 11. Anu 12. Kamala 13. Roopa 14. Divya Kudua 15.Rekha 16.Divya M 17.Lakshmi 18.Raaga 19.Lakshmi Venkatesh 20.Sripriya
21.Viji 22.Kamalika 23.Pavani