Day 17 of Recipe Marathon #2.
Being Vegetarian and living in remote part of Alaska has its disadvantage, mainly with the produce we get. Selection of vegetables we get here is very limited, and we don’t get any organic produce what so ever. Sometimes I do feel like cooking with greens, just thinking for chemicals and pesticides used to grow that greens, puts me off from buying that. I never thought of cooking with organic vegetable, as long as I lived here in this part Alaska.
Well, things have changed lately, we are able to get fresh Organic veggies and fruits from a neighboring state. They ship about 10 -12 types of different fruit and veggies which are fresh that week. This week we got a bunch of fresh beets along with its stem along with other fruits and veggies.
- Beets greens – 1 bunch(l used both leaves and stems)
- Spring Onions – 1 bunch (optional)
- Onion – 1 medium
- Green chili- 2 slit (optional, can use red chilli powder instead)
- Lime juice- 1 tsp freshly squeezed
- Dalia Dal- 1tbsp powdered ( coconut can be used)
- Oil, mustard seeds and Channadal – 1 tsp each
- Clean beet greens, wash and chop them , Chop green onions and yellow onions as well.
- Heat oil in a pan, when hot add mustard seed and Channadal, when Dal starts to change color add onions and fry till soft.
- Then add chopped greens, cover and cook till the greens are wilted (reduced to half). Then add salt and powdered Dalia Dal. Squeeze some fresh lime juice. Mix well.
We had with rice and Dal. Enjoy !
Check out recipes of my fellow Marathoners.
DK , Srivalli, Ranji, PJ, CurryLeaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Anu, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya M, Lakshmi, Raaga, Lakshmi Venkatesh, Sripriya, Viji, Kamalika, Pavani, Karuna, Roochi