I have been cooking with Masoor dal for last 2-3 years, first introduced by one of our maharastrian friend. When we visited them they made this for dinner and me and my husband loved it and later I borrowed ‘goad masala’ from her and strated cooking. After that I knew goad masala was maharastrain speciality and used for making dals. After it was over, I used to make masoor dal with garam masala and red chilli powder.
For this months RCI – Maharashtrian Cuisine hosted by Nupur of ‘One hot Stove’ I decided to make Goda masala which is very authentic maharastrain spice mix used in most of the dal preparations. So followed ‘Tee of Bhaatkuli’s’ recipe and prepared fresh Goad masala. For my first try it turned out good. Thanks Tee for the recipe.
Here is the recipe for Masoor Dal(Amti).
- Masoor Dal – 1 cup
- Vegeetables – Onion 1, Tomato 1, Garlic 2 pods and Tomato paste 2 tbsp.
- Spices- Goda masala, red chilli powder 1-2 tbsp
- Oil 2 tbsp and Salt to taste.
- Add 2 cups of water to Masoor Dal and pressure cook for 15 mins. (No need to soak ahead).
- Chop garlic , onion and tomato. Heat oil in pan and add veggie saute till soft and then add goad masala, red chilli powder and salt, adjust to taste.
- Then add cooked masoor dal add required amout of water and cook for 10 mins. All the flavours of masala and dal are cooked together.
- Serve with Chapathi with some slice of onion and lime.
Tasty and healthy meal enjoy!