As many of us know Orange peels(Kittale hannu-Orange sippe-peel in kannada) in India are sun-dried and powdered and stored. Used as a face scrub or mixed with oil and applied for hair. Besides these uses there is one more use to orange peels, making gojju with it. This time when I visited Mysore(India), in one of the TV shows they showed the recipe. One of my Aunt tried this one and it was delicious.
So last week I had found some nice skin oranges brought home and made some gojju using the peels.Gojju is a kannada name for its tangy,sweet and spicy curry. It tastes good with dosa, chapathi and rotti.
For some of you wondering how would it taste, it like bittergourd gojju but not bitter. Try it friends and let me know.
Peels can be stored in ziplock bags in refrigarator for months.
Here is the Ingredients and recipe.
- Orange peel – Of 1 orange
- Red onion- One small
- Oil – 1tbsp
- Mustard Seeds- 1tsb
- Tamarind paste – 1tsp
- Red chilli pwd – 1-2 tbs (I used Sambar powder along with chilli powder. Can add or leave sambar pwd)
- Jaggery – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste.
- First peel the orange and chop very finely, remove the white part as much as possible.
- Put the chopped peels in a hot water for about 10 mins.(Take water in a pot bring it boil and swith off add chopped orange peel leave it for 10 mins).Orange peels become soft after this.
- Do the tempering in another vessel, heat oil add mustard add soaked orange peels and fry for 5 mins till its soft, add onions and fry for few more mins until its tranlucent.
- Then add tamarind water, spices , jaggery and salt, adjust to taste. Add enough water bring it to boil. Simmer down and let it cook and peels will soak up all the spices . After 10-15 mins swith off and let it rest for 5 more mins.
- *Can add roast dalia dal powdered to this gojju, at the very end and mix it for better consisitancy.
Variation :After soaking the peels in hot water, Can used for making sweet jams.
Its ready……Enjoy !
This is my recipe to AFAM hosted by Sharmi of Neivedyam