At my kitchen for our lunch its mostly rice, sambar and one dry curry with vegetables. Some days when I am not in a mood to make sambar its one pot meal. So today being one of those days, for our mid-day lunch I had made a very simple tomato rice.
I usualy make tomato rice by adding chopped tomatos and onion with some spices. Today for the first time I tried making tomato pulav by pureering/juicing tomatoes and added fennel seeds while tempering. It was delicious with mild tomato taste with sweet smell of fennel.
- Tomato – 1 big Puree it using blender
- Onion – 1 medium( thinly chopped)
- Green chillies – 1 to 2
For tempering :
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1tsp
- Cloves and cinammon – 2 each
- 1 tsp – ghee
- 2 tbsp- cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp – corriender leaves chopped.
- Wash and soak rice (Basmati rice) for about 10 mins . This will allow rice to cook fastly when making on stove top. If using pressure cooker skip this step.
- Heat oil in a thick bottemed pan. When its hot add mustard and fennel seeds, cinammon – cloves. Then add chopped green chilles and onion, fry for few mins.
- Then add purrred tomotoes and add salt. Bring it to a boil then add enough water required for rice to cook ( I used 1 cup rice so added 2 cups of water + 1/2 cup of tomato puree) .
- When it starts to boil add rice, mix well adjust salt and spice ( want more spice add red chilli powder) and cover and simmer and cook for 10 – 12 mins.
- Now do the garnishing, add chopped corriender leaves and cashew nuts, roasted in ghee. Let the rice cool for 5 mins or so the add the roasted nuts and mix well
To go with it I made onion, cucumber, carrot pachadi/raitha. To make the taste bit different I added a pinch or Black salt (which is slightly tangy and salty in taste). Mixed along with salt and pepper. Simple and yet delicious lunch.