I got oatmeal from the store and tried making upma once neither of us liked upma. It was too chewy for us. I had lots of oatnmeal left. Thought of making some dessert and did make pudding yesterday it turned out very well . Now I can finish off the whole box of oatmeal. With the combination of milk, jaggery, ghee and any ingredient added to that tastes good.
I call it puddding because I used the ingredients I used for making pudding but it tasted like halwa. I used jaggery instead of sugar for this pudding. So here is the recipe for simple and healthy oatmeal pudding/halwa.
Oatmeal about 1 cup ( powdered using a coffee grinder)
Milk about 1 1/2 cup
Jaggery about 3 tbsp or more(add sugar or brown sugar instead of jaggery)
Ghee about 2 tbsp
Cardamon few pods chrushed.
- First grind the oatmeal coarsly(can use the whole oatmeal without grinding).
- Then with 1 tbsp of ghee roast oatmeal on medium heat untill its light brown in colour.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan, add milk when it starts to boil add jaggery(crush it, so it dissloves easily) and cardamon.
- When jaggery is completely dissloved add roasted oatmeal keep stirring it untill its bit thick in consistancy and milk and oatmeal has incorporated very well.
- Lastly add 1 tbsp of ghee and mix well.
Eat it hot or warm. Enjoy !
*It tends to thicken a little bit more when its cooled. Tastes better when its warm.
*Can also add ghee roasted nuts.