I don’t get much beetroot in the grocery store where I live. When ever I get it i make two things out with that. One is the dry curry called palya and the other one is bit thin curry to go with chapathis.
So here is the recipe.
Beetroot 1 medium size( grated or finely chopped)
Channadal 2 tbsp
Poppy seeds/khus khus 2tsp
black pepper 4-5 peppercorns
Red chilli 2
Cinnamon & Clove 1-2 small pecies
Salt according to taste.
Oil and mustard for seasoning.
- Heat oil in a skillet, when its hot enough add mustard seeds. Once it starts to pop add grated beets and fry for few minutes.
- Meanwhile dry roast all the above ingredients and grind to a course powder using coffee grinder(It can also be made by using wet grinder , just add enough water to make to smooth paste).
- When the Beets are soft enough add the grind powder/paste to the veggie, add salt and water (Add water according to desired consistancy)
- Simmer it down for 10-15 mins.
- Now its ready to be eaten.
It tastes good with chapathis and dosas. Enjoy!