When we are tired of having curries,sambar and all the spices and masalas. We like to have something plain and satisfying for our meal. Thove is definitely one thing I make. This is simple and easy to make.
So here is what we need.
Bottle gourd 1cup chopped
onion 1 small
green chilles 1
Mustard and cumin seeds.
Fresh lime/lemon juice 2tsp.
- Add pinch of turmeric to moongdal and pressure cook it untill its soft.
- Now add veggies, onion , tomato and chilles. Add water to desired consistancy. Let it cook for about 10min or until veggies are soft.
- When veggies are soft enough add salt and switch off the heat.
- In a different pan do the tempering adding mustard and cumin to hot oil .
- Lastly add fresh lime/lemon juice and garnish with cilantro leaves.
Serve hot with rice or chapathis.
Thove with rice and curd chillies on side is considered as comfort food at my home.
* Commonly used veggie for thove is ridge gourd. Bottle gourd ,chayote squash can also be used. Or it can be made without adding any veggies at all.
* If making as a side dish for chapathis. Add less water.
- Curd chilles(called as Balka in kannada) are made by making slit and soaking fresh green chillies in sour curd for a day and they sun dried untill color changes to half white. Once completely dried it can be stored in air tight container. For longer shelf life store in Refrigarator.It is available in Indian grocery stores.
Curd chilles are deep fried in oil and used instead of green or red chilles. It is used for making raitha, seasoning rice or as a sides.
Dried Curd Chillies Curd Chilles deep fried