Gojju is a combination of sour, spicy and sweet . Tomato is most widely used for making gojju. One can also use brinjal/eggplant, onion, capsicum, bittergourd etc.,
If anyone makes similar kind of dish, please let me know what it is called in your region.
So here is what we need
Oil 1-2 tsp, Mustard seeds ½ tsp, Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp, Channa dal 1tsp, Curry leaves few and Turmeric ½ tsp.
Bell Pepper – Green and Red one each, Tomato – one small, Onion- one small.
Jaggery about 2 tsp, Curry/sambar powder (or chilli powder) about 1tsp, Tamarind about 1 tsp, Gram flour/chickpea flour(I use this instead of coconut to thicken the gravy) and Salt to taste. Few cilantro leaves for garnish.
All these above ingredients can be added more or less according to one’s taste.
- Take oil in a pan, when its hot enough add mustard, cumin, turmeric, channa dal and curry leaves.
- When channa dal starts to change color, add veggies and salt cover and cook for about 5 mins.
- Then add curry powder, tamarind, jaggery. Mix gram flour with water and add this to the veggies. Lastly add salt.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat for about 10 mins or until the rawness from the curry powder is gone.
- Garnish it with few cilantro leaves. Now its ready to eat.
Gojju can be served with chapathi, dosa, idly, rotti or even rice. Enjoy!