There are many varities of rice dishes we can make by combining dal with rice.
Moongdal(split) rice is the easiest to make since moongdal and rice cooks at the same time. Everyone has different recipes with this combo, kichadi/rice usali is famous among them.
Growing up this was my favorite rice item. It tastes good when warm. I think it tastes even better after few hours.
These are the things we need for making.
Split Moongdal 1 cup
Rice 1 ½ cup
Onion 1 small
Tomato 1 big
Cumin 1 tea spoon
Red chillies 2 -3
Turmeric ½ teaspoon
Cilantro leaves handful
Oil 1 tablespoon
Mustard seed ½ tea spoon
Red Chilli 1
Cilantro few leaves
Salt for seasoning.
1. Wash and cook, dal and rice together in pressure cooker.
2. Grind onion, tomato, cumin seeds, red chilles, turmeric, cilantro into smooth paste
3. Heat a big pan, do the tadka add the grind paste and let it cook for about 5 minutes or till the raw smell is gone.
4. Add cooked dal rice mixture, stir add more water to make it bit thin. Cook on medium heat, stir in between to mix well. Add salt to taste.
5. Finally heat a teaspoon of ghee and fry cashews till light brown, add to the rice. Garnish with few coriander leaves.
Its ready to eat. Enjoy !
This is my entry for Paz’s ‘For the love of Rice’ event.