Day 19 of Recipe Marathon #2.
Today, I am posting one of my all time favorite recipe with my all time favorite Vegetable Okra/lady’s finger (bendekaayi as we call in Kannada). Gojju or curry is a combination of sour-spicy- sweet flavours all combined well together, tomatos, onions, brinjals, bellpeppers and okras are most widely used vegetables for making this kind for curry.
Okra/bendekaayi – 1 packet frozen ( use fresh tender once if available )
Tempering : Oil, mustard seeds and channadal – 1tsp each
- Tamarind for sour/tangyness - Dried tamarind soaked in water( tamarind paste can be used)
- Red chili powder/ Sambar powder for spicyness- 1tsp ( add green chillis for more spicyness)
- Jaggery/ brown sugar for sweetness – 1tbsp
- Heat oil in wide pan, when hot add mustard seeds and channadal, when dal starts to change colour add Okra ( thaw the frozen okra before putting it in, if using fresh chop first and then add)
- Let it cook on medium heat untill its colour changes from light to dark green ( to avoid stickness , donot turn frequently).
- Gently turn them and let it cook through. It takes about 15 20 mins for okra to cook and loose the stickness. Once this is done.
- Add tamarind water (squeeze tamarind, discard pulp and use the water), add more water if required and add chili powder, jaggery and salt to taste. On medium-high heat allow it to cook and let the flavors combines will. Once the curry thickens, switch off.
- Allow it to stand for 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy with rice or rotis.
Check out recipes of my fellow Marathoners.
DK , Srivalli, Ranji, PJ, CurryLeaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Anu, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya M, Lakshmi, Raaga, Lakshmi Venkatesh, Sripriya, Viji, Kamalika, Pavani, Karuna, Roochi