I make dosas atleast once a week for our weekday or weekend brunch. We like to eat dosas with aloo palya and chutney or only with chutneys somethimes or even gojju. The leftover dosa batter I always use that for making onion-chilli uttapam. This week I had some sprouted moongdal, so tried it along with some onion and tomatoes.
These days I have upgraded my dosa recipe from regular rice to brown rice to make it little more nutritious. With sprouts added to it, this will make a complete healthy breakfast.
Recipe for Dose Batter
- 2 cups – brown rice
- 3/4 cups-urad dal
- 1/2 cup – poha/aval/avalakki
- 2 tbsp – channa dal
- 1 tbsp – methi seeds
Soak all the ingredints in enough water for 8 hours. Grind to smooth batter, let it ferment for 8 more hours. Then it will be ready to me made to dosas/pancakes.
For making utthapa/ toppings
- 1/2 cup – sprouted moongdal
- 2tbsp- sweet sliced onions
- 2tbsp- tomatos
- 1tsp of each- chilli powder, cumin powder and salt.
Mix them all together.
- Pour a laddle full of dosa batter on hot griddle/tava. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of mixture in top. It will spread on its own.
- Cover for few seconds, let the bottom side get light brown and cook through.
- Flip for few seconds and serve.
Can eat it like that, we had ours with yougurt mixed with chutney-powder.